Drive



Are you ready for the worst financial decision of my life?


I bought this second-hand 1996 Mitsubishi Lancer GLXi for 200,000 Php (divide it by approximately 42.50 for the Canadian dollar value). It has a 118-hp, 1.6-Liter, 4-cylinder engine. The odometer read 110k when I bought it. It’s a 4-speed automatic, which probably upsets some, especially those who worked hard to give me stick lessons. It has air-conditioning as fresh as a drink of Fresca. It has power locks, power windows, power steering. It came with a car alarm that goes off every 15 minutes whenever I park on the street. The windows have a medium black tint. It has two, count ‘em, two cup holders. There’s a spare tire in the trunk, etc.




There are a few things that need to be fixed up—there’s a tiny but a noticeable scratch on the front bumper; the RPM meter doesn’t work; the passenger side power window gets stuck sometimes— but they’re not massive concerns. It would probably be fun to do some minor ride-pimping upgrades, like a new set of rims, a darker window tint, a top-notch car audio system, or nitrous oxide. I’ll tackle those projects when I can afford it.


I’ll be able to afford all of those once I get a job. To be honest, I haven’t felt the urgency yet. I don’t want to be overconfident about it but every company I’ve had an interview with, they’ve wanted to hire me immediately. I think it’s the fact that they find my unorthodox change of location intriguing so everyone wants to be a part of the experiment. I’m being extremely picky because I haven’t yet found a company that I don’t have a problem with, whether with its schedule, location, or salary.

Besides, I deserve this car. I was ridiculously thrifty during my last year in Canada so that I can save up for a car that costs TWICE as much as this. So now that I have some spare money and nothing to save up for, I should be entitled to get my spend on. So far, nothing but good things has come from buying this car. I never arrive to my destination all sweaty and covered with soot and dust anymore. Socially, I’ve prospered even more, ya know? (I’m not saying, I’m just saying). And while most get their epiphany while on the toilet, I have mine while driving. So I’m chock full of epiphanies now.

It’s the worst financial decision of my life but I have no regrets about it. Currently, I’m in the process of learning how to drift through this. Holla!

Comments

Anonymous said…
hey, if it wasn't for this car, you wont even get to interviews! And who appreciates shiny spinners in the philippines anyway?

Popular Posts