This Week on Billboard: Mims - This Is Why I'm Hot

This Week On Billboard is where I unabashedly critique the current no. 1 hit on Billboard.com, the major yardstick for what's "hot" in music today. In order to simplify the review for those who don't want to read the whole article, each song is given a "!" rating, in which the finest grabs five of them.

Weeks in No. 1: 2

Weeks in Chart: 7

From the upcoming M.I.M.S. (Music Is My Savior) LP

!!!



The beat's sparse; you'll only hear kicks, handclaps and deep-synth-tones for the major portion of the track. It's ironic how a beat this frigid backs a song called "This Is Why I'm Hot". If you've seen the movie "Hustle and Flow", it's clear that there's a D.J. Qualls in every corner of America that can create a track like this. Even so, it'll undoubtedly make your fingers snap.

On the first verse, Mims and his producing team delivers a crash course on the regional effect on 21st century rap. The recognizable samples, even if they're just snippets, are an amusing touch.

But to discuss the lyrical side, Mims conveniently gives himself a review in the first couple of lines of the first verse: "I don't gotta rap/I can sell a mil sayin' nothin' on the track." Ain't that a wretched-but-true bitch?

[watch|listen]

Comments

Popular Posts