LLTaNABaBHHHBaWaSoCR

Welcome to this weeks installment of "Lucas Listens to a new album by a band he hasn't heard before and writes a stream of consciousness review.*" This week in the hopper we have "The Throes" by Two Gallants.

You Losin' Out: Gots some harmonica. Respect for that. Sort of a blusey americana rock vibe here, I'm digging it so far. "THATS THE REASON I'M TELLIN' YA MAMA YOU LOSIN' OUT!" Good track if you're into a kinda post-Bob Dylan thing.

Two Days Short Tomorrow: Starts out with some bare guitar and raw drums. I have a feeling the whole album is gonna be like this. Like the lyrics, guy's got a talent for metaphor. Overcoming adversity is the new getting dumped. Drinking a diet coke, and it feels inappropriate.

Nothing To You: Ohhh.. a bit cleaner, a bit classier. Guitars are melancholic and uplifting. Doesn't make sense? True. I'M GAY AS A CHOIR BOY FOR YOU. That lyric just made this song win. Creepy shit here guys... stalking is the new overcoming adversity. Guy can drive a melody. Yeah, I don't think I should, but I like this song. Would be cathartic if I hated my mother, which I don't, but maybe I could learn to.

Crow Jane: Slowing it down a bit here, it's getting sadder. But the kind of sad where you know its gonna be ok cause he's just gettin it out there. EVERY SONG IS ABOUT THIS DUDES MOTHER SO FAR. Ok with that I think. "Once had a woman called me angel child / my reputation keeps me on track / but who's gonna save me from myself" I like that. "Crow Jane quit me and I just can't cope." - Full circle, back to the breaking up is the old overcoming adversity jig. Long song, thinking about hitting skip....

Fail Hard To Regain: Harmonica is back.. and what's this! Rockin hard now. Would be a good drinking song. Scratch that, he just said "twas." This will make a fantastic drinking song! Would be right at home at any east coast bar in the world. Or in Canada, or whatevs... I just wanna rage with youthful and angst-filled energy!

The Throes: Harmonica, but more forlorn now. Not much music here, bare lyrics. Effective though. Sounds like its about being abused by a drunk husband. Scratch that, it's clearly about being abused by a drunk husband. Good track, but could be better... She's excusing his behavior now! Clichéd, if this type of song is allowed to be a cliché... Tough subject matter to write well, and this song kinda does ok... Definitely feeling it now... second half is way better... Oh god this song is tragic. Sad.

Drive my car: k that last one was a tough act to follow.. More guitar action now, still straight up vocals, guitar, and drum. Guy's voice is raw, but I like it. This song isn't very memorable. Every song on this album is really long. Almost done my diet coke, and I don't even care. Picks up a bit at the end, but whatever.

My Madonna: The double count-in - coo. Slow, ballady. This song is recorded in black and white and there is cigar smoke in the saloon, or something. Gonna have to buy myself a harmonica. Oh good, this song is only 7 and a half minutes long. "I know I'm pathetic / I'm the sage of absurd / but I won't violate you with touch / but with words" is that any better? Lamenting lost love and youth. Makes me think of missed opportunities. Song's got legs. Really like the atmosphere of this song... feels sad, but its a warning, not a lament... Well its kind of a lament, but only if you are old and drunk.

Train That Stole My Man: Slow wavering guitars... The last song always bugs me. Well thats not totally true, but here it is. Long meandering intro, but I'll take it. Daddy was a rounder... This could be ok. This whole album really captures an era that I know absolutely nothing about. Its the wikipedia of albums, if wikipedia was about the old days and simple truths. "I see dark clouds in the skies / I see midgets in the sand" Gotta wonder what the symbolism is there... Been using my brain too long with these 8-9 minute songs... the ADD is making it tough to judge this track.

Overall a good album. Will I listen to it again? Probably. A lot? Doubt it.

*While I am ordinarily fanatical about spelling and structure, I really can't be bothered for this particular feature. Please forgive me...

Comments

andrew said…
oh yeah it's cumshot wednesday. makes sense.

l'OH ouais c'est cumshot mercredi. ce sens de marques.
Lucas said…
You gonna be negative, or are you gonna write something? HUH?
Anonymous said…
All I got out of your review was that you are a gay choir boy. Something that all of us know, especially after catching you and Andrew playing "The Priest and his Choir Boy" in your basement.

Also, do you guys take requests on albums your fans would love you to review.

If so, please review:
Yes, I'm a Witch - Yoko Ono
Theogonia - Rotting Christ
Lucas said…
I would happily take requests if I had any idea who the hell you are...
Anonymous said…
I am an adoring fan - most likely the only one. Isn't that good enough for you.

Remember that time we hogtied your little brother and threw tennis balls at him?

Popular Posts