Reason for Leaving

I could see how it doesn’t make any sense. It’s pretty unconventional, after all. I’m planning my comeback to a country whose entire population is planning to escape. It’s difficult to understand that I’m willing to turn my back on what every living soul in the Philippines endeavours to reach. I have a sufficient Engineering job and a comfortable way of living. I’m secure, I’m safe, and I’m willing to throw that away?

Explaining it to someone is extremely irritating because the reasons people have used to try to convince me with to stay are my very reasons for leaving. Security, of course, is great and I’m extremely grateful that I’ve had it throughout my life. Security has prevented me from hardship, but, coincidentally, it also ensured me that I will never be in enough tribulations to try and alter my situation. Taking risks is horrifying, and security has removed most of the motivation.

I can’t be content with this type of stability. It’s depressing to think that, in ten years, I would still be sitting in the same chair, staring at the same computer, and going through the same motions. Sure, financially, I’ll blossom, but the development in my character—what’s really important in life—would be stagnant. Character growth is all I really want to achieve by going to the Philippines; and, at 23 years old, I want to do it while I still have the opportunity to.

But, why the Philippines? In fact, I can achieve growth in places where I can still advance financially. The Philippines is an ideal place for me where I have complete independence but, because of an abundance of extended family members whom I’m still extremely close with, I will never actually feel alone. I will never be as comfortable anywhere else except for at home. Plus, the beaches are breathtaking, the girls are hot, and the beer is cheap.

In the Philippines, while employed in an amply satisfying Engineering job, I can do freelance writing, I can be a music DJ, I can own a club, I can play in a band. Will I actually do any of this? Who knows. But even if I’m unsuccessful, I’m fine with that. Failure will only add to my character development. Besides, I’m still young enough to recover from it anyway. And, I’d be lying if I say that I’m not terrified by this change I’m about to encounter. But that’s part of the appeal of it all; I can’t predict what lies ahead and I love it. It’s exciting that I’m taking a risk and no matter how unreliable the results may be, I’m ready to live it to the fullest.

Comments

Popular Posts